Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Red *#%$ Tape and Other Necessary Evils

Bureaucracy. Red Tape. Pencil Pushing Bureaucrats.
All the entities I can remember my parents rallying against when I was a child.
What is a bureaucrat? The dictionary lists the following definitions:

Unnecessary, as in avoidable, futile, gratuitous, irrelevant, useless and worthless.

 But does bureaucracy actually have a purpose in our every day lives?
 Terry Gilliam's 1985 film explores the world of the bureaucracy and gives the bureaucrat a human face.  Bureaucrats have feelings, and are not beholden to the rules that govern their occupations. According to Gilliam, bureaucrats are able to make their own decisions and are not strictly guided by the rules arbitrarily imposed by the bureaucracy.  I'm not so sure I buy in to that assertion. What are your experiences with the bureaucracy? Do you agree with Gilliam?

No comments:

Post a Comment